By RICK SOLEM
It’s hard to say what was more dramatic for the Logan High School girls 800-meter relay team.
They repeated as state champs. Probably a sigh of relief after they were were three-tenths of a second from not making the Division 1 WIAA State Track and Field finals after a 10th-place preliminary race.
If that wasn't nerve wracking enough, they were a blink of an eye
Three-tenths of a second slower and they’re not in the finals. But they were a blink of an eye ... or less from winning the title.
Saturday, at UW-La Crosse’s Veterans Memorial Complex, the Rangers repeated as state champions by nine-thousandths of a second.
The team of freshmen Kemmesha Thomas, Ashley Sprain and sophomores Tore Washa and Chloe Malin led Logan to a state championship in 1-minute, 43.22-seconds, edging out Wisconsin Lutheran by those thousands of a second. Phew.
Those four also broke a 2008 school record in the 400 relay, in which they finished seventh (49.73).
For Holmen, sophomore Danielle Kohlwey’s future looks bright. The sophomore finished third in the 300 hurdles (47.23), where a state record was broken (43.04) and fourth in the 100 hurdles (15.11).
Kohlwey went to state as a freshman in the 100 hurdles and finished sixth (14.93).
WIAA STATE TRACK AND FIELD
at Veteran's Memorial Complex
LOCAL FINISHES (and top finisher)
1. Khadiya Hollingsworth (Brookfield East, soph.), 15. Carly Morris (Logan soph.) 5-0.
1. Rayce Albino (New Berlin West, soph.) 12-3, DNQ. Emma Madsen (Holmen sr.).
1. Danielle Riggin (Kenosha Tremper, jr.) 14.23, 4. Danielle Kohlwey (Holmen soph.) 15.11.
1. Valerie Thames (Milwaukee Riverside, sr.) 43.04 (state record), 3. Danielle Kohlwey (Holmen soph.) 44.98.
1. Milwaukee King, 48.51, 7. Logan, 1:43.26. (Thomas, Washa, Sprain, Malin) 49.73.
1. Logan (Thomas, Sprain, Washa, Malin) 1:43.22, 2. Wisconsin Lutheran, 1:43.31.
1. Milwaukee Riverside, 3:52.82, DNQ, Logan.
1. Neenah, 9:23.63, 22. Central, 9:46.05.